Thursday, April 30, 2009

doing something right.

Tonight, I put the kids to bed. Not long after, I heard the pitter-patter of footprints and a few giggles and shrieks. I gave them a few minutes to get it out of their systems, and it was silent.

Too silent. So I tiptoed upstairs to see what was going on. Alex was INSIDE Mya's crib, and they had her pillow* propped against the back of the crib. They were leaning against it like a little couch, with their legs straight out in front of them. Alex had one arm around Mya and was sucking his other thumb. Mya had an arm around Alex and was holding her blankie. And they were just looking at each other.

Yesterday, Mya was being very aggressive again, which isn't abnormal for her. I scolded her briefly but with a very firm voice. A look of shock and anger came about Alex's face, and he said very firmly, "Mommy, that is my BABY you are talking to." Another time within the same hour, I had to firmly correct Mya for hitting. Alex looked at me and said tenderly and pleadingly, "Oh, Mama, she's only a baby."

It is during these moments that I feel confident in my parenting. I am so, so proud of where we are...I'm even proud of our story. Proud that regardless of our circumstances, my kids are doin' alright.

Yay!! for not screwing up my children during my mess.



*(yes, I'm aware that that isn't safe for babies to have pillows, but she's a toddler and has some breathing issues that are best if she is somewhat upright)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

It sounds like you are raising great kids! They are so cute1